Mama's boy ♥

>> February 24, 2010

On February 19th our lives were forever changed for a second time when our son came into the world. We were scheduled for an inducement that morning. Pitocin was started at 10:15am and the wait was on! We all thought this labor was going to go by faster than my first but boy were we in for a surprise! I was fortunate to have the best nurses on staff! They were just amazing to my family and I and we laughed so hard and so much all day long. Them doing their jobs so well really helped to pass the time. I requested my epidural before they broke my water because of the advice from other Moms that had to deal with crazy pain while waiting for their epidural. The anesthesiologist came in and was getting ready to do his thing when he got paged for an emergency c-section where the woman needed to be put all the way under. He was the only one able to do that so he sent another Dr. in to finish mine. When they inserted the needle of course I felt it and I had the weirdest sensation down the right side of my body and not my left. I immediately thought something was wrong and told the nurse after they were done that I was numbing on the right side but not the left. She said as long as you can't feel the pressure/pain down south and the contractions it is fine. I tried to believe her but my instincts were telling me something just wasn't right. So when I started feeling tons of pressure and pain again I told the nurse, she checked me and I was still a 5. So she said let me call anesthesia and see if they can give you something more for the lower part of my body. He came up to give me more meds and checked my tube. It just so happened that it aspirated and blood was in the line. Therefore the previous Dr. had hit a blood vessel (which unfortunately happens sometimes) so they had no choice but to remove it and do another epidural. Since he couldn't go in the same spot he had to go a bit higher. This scared me because I'm claustrophobic and I was nervous about how high the numbing would go. No less than 15 minutes later I was trying to clear my throat and I couldn't. I called for the nurse, she checked with an alcohol pad rubbing it up my stomach telling me to say when I could feel cold. She got all the way up to my breastbone before I could feel it. The epidural went so high that I was losing control of my breathing and I started to freak a bit. My Mom was coaching me and making sure to keep my mind on breathing. My blood pressure dropped so low that my Mom was gettng nervous. It was all happening so fast at this point I knew they needed to turn off the epidural so I could focus on breathing. She shut it off and about that time I started feeling major pressure again. I was dilated to a 5 at about 7:20pm. I then dilated from 5 to 10 in less than 20 minutes. We were finally ready to push so the nurse went to get my Dr. and it just so happened that NIcco was the 18th baby out of 25 born that day....so needless to say she was delivering another baby at the moment and we would have to wait. I waited 15 minutes for her to finish up and come in to deliver Nicco. The entire time we were waiting for her to come in, I was concentrating soley on my breathing. It was the upmost scariest thing I've been through. Not to mention I was going to have to push this baby out in a few minutes so I needed to be able to hold my breath long enough for each push while feeling like I couldn't breath in the first place. It was terrifying but I took it into my head and convinced myself it was mind over matter and I had to get this baby out. I pushed for 14 minutes and out he came! IT was another miracle of life that we all got to witness. MY mom, Stephanie, Sheena and Tom all got to be in the room for the delivery! (We missed Shanna she was out of town on business) I was so happy they all were there for us and not to mention the best motivation team around!
After such a long day and a scary ending to the labor we finally got to lay eyes on our beautiful baby boy. I never understood the bond between a mother and son obviously because I had no brothers and no boys of my own but the moment they laid him on my belly I was immediately in love. In awe of such a precious sight. I have never felt so amazing as I did while holding both of my babies for the first time. He was born at 8:07pm weighing 8 lbs 4 oz and 20 1/2 inches long with a head of 14 inches! He was so much bigger than I imagined him being. He is perfect in every way and am so excited to be a Mommy to another amazing child. Jaelyn is loving her brother (bruh-er) and want's to hold and kiss him all day long. She's adjusted wonderfully and I couldn't ask for a better husband and Mother to help me these past days. I am still sore, feel like I ran a marathon without training for it first but they said that was from straining my entire body from pushing so hard and so quickly. There was a scare in the heartrate while he was crowning but they didn't know if it was mine or his so Sheena was yelling for me to get this baby OUT! It worked because he came out two pushes later with an apgar of 9 so he must've been fine the entire time. I still can't believe he's here and I don't have a pregnant belly anymore. IT's amazing how fast time passes as adults and I'm cherishing every moment I have with my babies.

Here are some pictures from the birth and my precious baby boy at just a few days old. We think he's so handsome ;)

Nicco Thomas

2 comments:

Lindsay March 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

HE TRULY IS SOOOO PRECIOUS.....great job mom!!!!

Keri March 12, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Congratulations! What a doll!

Post a Comment